Sunday, May 31, 2009

You win some, You loose some

I am 15 lbs lighter these days. While on the blog scene I've been silent and non-responsive, on the gym I've been working my butt off. My runs are now longer and faster, and my stamina has improved considerably.

The whole process started about two months ago, when my boss (who's also my neighbor and good friend) realized she needed to loose 90 lbs in order to regain control of her health and well being. I encouraged her to sign up at my gym. That way we could partner and motivate each other to keep it up. So she did, and we've been exercising every weekday from 5:30 to 7 AM. The results are showing and I have to say that I'm looking pretty good these days (woohoo!).

Loosing weight is a very personal process. No one can force this into anyone, or else it will become another tedious task to do in your already complicated agenda. It becomes a burden and sooner or later, you quit altogether. In order for the process to be effective, it must come from a true realization. Knowing that you need to change for the better, that you deserve to feel younger and energized, or that your health is at risk and your living days are getting shorter, it's the only motivation you really need to stay focused on this task. Wether it's 10, 15 or 100 lbs, the process is still the same: decrease the amount of food input and increase the amount of physical activity. That's it. But we, humans, avoid anything that makes us feel deprived. It's our nature.

We'll continue our morning routine as usual, and I will continue helping my friend, who needs this much more than I do. And in the meantime, I will benefit from it one way or the other. I gained a friend already and had lost some extra pounds... let's see what else comes this way.

1 comment: